To oOur Members & Volunteers
Dear Members & Volunteers, Happy Summer!
We bring greetings to you as the new Co-Presidents of the NAMI Queens/Nassau Board of Directors, Angela Babaev and David Sills. We are honored to have been selected for this position and look forward to meeting all of you.
We are grateful for your interest to be a volunteer.
To volunteer is to give of yourself in service to a cause.
It is about freely giving your time to help an organization,
our community, or an individual in need.
Many volunteers have said how volunteering have changed their lives for the better, gave it meaning, the desire to do good to others made them stronger. It is done willingly by choice. It is done to bring hope, promote positive change or help someone in need.
AS we move into 2019 there are core strategic areas
we are focusing on:
• Continue our efforts in advocacy
• Improving NAMIQN affiliate programs & services management
• Increasing Fundraising
• Expanding NAMIQN membership
We have many goals for the coming months.
Among them are:
• To bring awareness of mental health concerns to the community and to work with New York State and federal and local legislators to obtain appropriate health care, appropriate and dignified housing within the community;
• To help create job opportunities by working with businesses and legislators;
• To help wipe out the stigma of mental illness;
• To provide social opportunities for our peers;
• To provide, for our families and loved ones, educational and support opportunities to enable families to have a smoother journey;
• To strengthen the financial position of our affiliate;
• To find sources of grants and other funding sources for our programs;
• To serve as a source of communication with hospitals and day programs;
• To provide schools with support as they bring mental health education to the curricula;
• To encourage members of our communities in Queens and Nassau to take an active role in day to day and special NAMI Queens/Nassau activities.
We are looking for people who are passionate about furthering mental health services, support groups and classes & stigma busting.
We invite and encourage all of you to attend our Volunteer Recognition and Recruitment evening on Wednesday, July 17 from 7:00 -9:00 PM, at the Sloman Auditorium at Zucker Hillside Hospital. Should you want to contact one of us, call the NAMI office at 516-326-0797.
Together we will expand our mission to educate and advocate on behalf of all of our families and loved ones impacted by mental illness.
Have a wonderful summer. Let’s work together!
Co-Presidents: David Sills & Angela Babaev